Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Walking with walker, Weekend pass

Hey, everybody! I'm going out on a hot date on Saturday! It's true... they're letting me take Denise in a wheelchair out for lunch on Saturday. She heard there was a Thai place across the street, so she's made up her mind that we're going there. Notta problem. This afternoon I got the crash course in how to handle the wheelchair. After that, her PT allowed Denise to show off, using a walker to walk 78 feet (that's on top of the 50 feet she walked this morning). She did even more as I was leaving for the afternoon. It was slow going and took tremendous effort, but she did it. One therapist said that today was the day that her progress exploded. I've been staying out of the rehab during the day unless Denise invites me. So going from seeing her unable to stand without some help to being able to walk without people holding her up was incredible! Weeks (months?) ago, one of the doctors told us that we shouldn't fixate on the day-to-day numbers as Denise improves; the weekly progress is where we'd notice the differences. Certainly true.
She threw up her lunch today, so that was the only downer. Maybe under the circumstances, it was an upper? She's still working on eating smaller meals many times a day. The doctor had me bring in a bag of "fun size" Snickers. "Fun size" means dinky. Next time you're at Starbuck's, try ordering a "fun size" coffee and see if they understand that you mean "small." Anyway, when we went to the store to get the Snickers, Gracie asked if I'm in love with mommy. Yes. She then asked if I'm in love with her (Gracie). I found myself saying, "I love you, but I'm not in love with you." I had to chuckle at myself, as it sounded like a line from a date gone wrong.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you two, have a wonderful date. When I worked at Huntington years ago, I ate at that Thai place and it was good. If it is still the same one, the fact that it has been there all these years may mean that it is still pretty good. I hope so, for your sakes. Denise, we continue to be in Awe of the Lord and Praise Him for the progress you are making, and how far He has brought you.

Blessings and love to you both,
Rose

December 07, 2005 11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another day of wonderful news! Thank you, Jesus!!

December 08, 2005 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the LORD!!

December 08, 2005 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am excited to hear about your progress, Denise. My computer was down for a month. I was getting little pieces here and there of your condition. You are doing great. I am glad the two of you get to go on a date. It is a well desired date.
My prayers are with you all.
Sandi

December 09, 2005 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news!! It is such a blessing to read the blog, hear the news, and pray for you guys. We are thrilled also to know that God aren't uneven! Sounds like a double negative to me. Does that mean that God is even. More good news

December 09, 2005 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home