Sunday, December 04, 2005

100 pounds, McD's comes up, God's "even"

Denise is back up to 100 pounds now! Tonight she ate most of her dinner, then I brought her a requested fajita & chocolate shake from McDonald's. A few minutes after downing most of the shake, everything came back up. McDonald's usually has the same effect on me. Too much milk shake, too cold, too fast, she said.
The kids & I visited this morning as well. We all went outside to the courtyard and her dad took a picture for our Christmas cards. My mom went by and wrapped Christmas gifts with Denise in the workout room. She also enjoyed a session with a counselor. He'll be visiting from time to time to listen to whatever is on Denise's mind and help give us some insights into coping with all she has been through.
This morning Gracie was making her bed and told me that her bedspread's like God. Huh? She pointed to the squared-up bedspread and said "Da-a-d (eye roll), look! It's even, see? It's not uneven" We did some Q&A but I couldn't figure out what she meant. Later in church, the pastor said we were going to pray, and Gracie immediately started in with the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father, who aren't uneven..." Ah-hah! If Gracie were around a few decades ago, she'd have been a regular on Art Linkletter's TV show. What Gracie said made me think of being in high school and finally realizing that Creedence Clearwater Revival's song "Bad Moon Rising" *didn't* contain the line, "there's a bathroom on the right." I still think of that part of the song every time I pass a rest stop on the highway. But I digress, as I often do... Also in church today, Gracie was getting kind of squirmy, drawing on the bulletin, demonstrating her newfound prowess at blowing spit bubbles... you know... all the stuff we did as kids in church. The pastor started talking about grace, and Gracie snapped to and sat up still, wide-eyed. After hearing "grace" a few more times, she cupped her hand over my ear and whispered, "Daddy, why's he saying my name so much?" I told her that he's just making sure that she's listening when he's speaking (sorry... I couldn't resist). A few minutes later she leaned over and whispered, "Is he gonna say my name again? I have to pee." We left.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, I just love the stories you share about the kids. Grace making her bed and in church was just too cool. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Love Terry, Dave's Mom

December 05, 2005 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, Thank you so much for sharing the priceless words of your children. They remind me of the joy when my four get too much! Still praying for you, Denise and the kids.

JT
Poplar Bluff, MO

December 08, 2005 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home