Friday, January 20, 2006

Feeding tube inserted, Fever of 100

The feeding tube went in today. They can start using it to drip food into the intestine within 12-24 hours. Until then, she's still on TPN feeding through the IV. She was not allowed to eat or drink before the procedure. Tonight when I was talking to her on the phone, she started wretching. When I arrived, she was already visiting with a couple of her college buddies (from Westmont... she also went to Biola and finally Cal State Fullerton when the cash ran low), one of whom said that Denise might have felt ill from the drugs administered during the feeding tube insertion.
Tonight she is running a fever of 100 degrees. On the vitals printout, the highest recorded temp was C37.1 (F 98.8). So I hope the fever's a fluke. She weighed in at 89.9 pounds. BP 130/80. Pulse 104.
All this hospital stuff started to grate on me today. Well, it's been grating for six months. But today I finally had to take all the hospital-related items out of the house & put them into the garage where they can stay until Denise gets home again. Now our bedroom & bathroom is clear of bandages, IV tree, wheelchair, shower transfer, med bottles, IV bags, and all sorts of things.
Gracie has a Barbie toy electric guitar. In the car today, she asked what the music was on the radio, and I said it was Led Zeppelin. She kept trying to repeat it, so we kept working on it. Many miles, minutes, and radio station changes later, we pulled into the driveway. She said, "Can you show me how to play the Left Zipping song on my Barbie guitar, Daddy?"
That's my girl.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Phil, Tonight my prayer is for you and you alone. I pray to GOD that He give YOU the strength needed to deal with the doctors, the hospitals, and even with Denise. You are not alone in your struggle through all of this, though I sense you must feel very lonely at times. God IS with you and watching out for you as well as for Denise. This rough spell will pass. Denise will gain weight and come back home and your family will be together again. That is my prayer.

January 21, 2006 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there everyone, the roller coaster continues. Keep the unwaivering faith that you have had these last 6 months! God is WITH you, not against you!
In Him,
Rachel

January 21, 2006 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home