Friday, June 16, 2006

No paracentisis, GI appointment, Neuro med tweaks

The reception for Denise is tomorrow! The address listed in the previous post is for the school's front office. The gym is on the opposite side of the campus, so be sure to drive around the block to park.
I was putting together a display board with some photos and just found this one that I forgot to post from about a month and a half ago. I remember that when Denise was in the hospital and I took pictures of her, I had to search for one that made her look good (most were never used). Notta problem anymore, now that she's looking healthier as the weeks go by.

It's very late & I'm pooped out, so here's a quick summation of what's happened this week.
The fluid draw from her ab that was supposed to happen Monday never happened. The ultrasound showed no pockets of fluid. Denise was disappointed, as she was really looking forward to losing the tummy. She's slightly above her target weight and her tummy is the only place that's collecting extra weight. It's not how she'd like to look, and people are always asking her if she's pregnant when she's out & about. You'd think that'd be a really touchy subject, but she's taken the questions in stride. Anyway, fast-forward to today's appointment with the GI doctor, and not finding fluid to remove is a positive thing. The GI doctor said that the lack of fluid is very good, as it indicates (in the context of increasingly favorable liver lab results... I'll try to post numbers soon for you hep people out there) that the liver is getting better. He noted that her liver is smaller as well. Still enlarged, but smaller. His best guess is that her tummy is redistributed fat tissue that will go away over time as her activity increases. Interesting stuff explains all that, but I'll save it for another time.
The neurologist appointment resulted in the addition of one more drug (Geodon) in very small doses. Upon running the concerns mentioned in the previous post by the neurologist, he felt that this drug would help. The pamphlet containing the list of cautions & possible side effects is a minor Russian novel. We'll see what happens when we throw that one into her neuro drug regimen of Trileptal, Lexapro, and Risperdal (all in very low doses).
And some other stuff...
School's out for the summer, so now I have more dates open on which to schedule my nervous breakdown. Yay! I've been looking forward to it for months and can't wait for it to happen! With the end of school also came a stellar 8th grade graduation ceremony. Denise & I were presented with a very generous check for Denise's fund, the money collected solely from junior high fundraisers. Every year the kids use a chunk of funds for their special activities and also donate some to charity. This year, we were the charity. I was so floored that I felt like saying something, but couldn't. Choke. It was all a blur. The student that gave us the check was saying something, to me, but I was in a fog and couldn't grasp it all. It's probably what your dog feels like when you talk to it. So for anyone that was there that night that's reading this, thank you. To the students, I think back to my level of consideration for others, smarts, talent, and every category of maturity when I was in junior high, and compare it to what I see year after year in you, the young men & women from my school, and you always blow me out of the water. To the parents & everyone I work with, I see where the kids get it from. I've relied on you all more and gotten to know more of you on a deeper level because of what's happened during the past year. What a mega-family to be a part of!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil when you get the chance,we all want to hear about the Reception.What a year you had! I prayed for all of you.
Isn't it amazing how God blesses us even with the hardships in our lives.And we come out better for it in the long run.
Peace be to you and your family.
Vikki

June 19, 2006 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Denise and Phil (and sweet
grandchildren):

We love you so much and are so overwhelmed by the blessing of Denise's recovery! I am so sorry
I missed the reception. Please send me the picture in this blogg by e-mail so I can get a good copy.
Also, please send some of the reception if possible as I am trying to put something together for church and work as an update and "thank you" to everyone here. I will give everyone Denise's letter, too. It was a wonderful and inspirational message. We should all be so grateful to be
alive as we take life for granted so much! I miss you all and hope to see you soon! All my love and
praise to God (be the glory!) Mom

June 21, 2006 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil. I'm the one from Coalinga who was on vacation in Big Bear Lake at the time of the reception. We just couldn't face spending 2 hours winding down that road to and from where it was going to be. But we did think of you. I, too, would love details and photos of the reception! Take care and God bless you!
Rachel

June 25, 2006 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Denise and Phil,
I am the nurse that transfered you quickly from your original medical surgical bed on 3 tower to ICU and
have been following your recovery ever since. I visited you on several occasions in ICU. When you started to become more alert, I remember the day you gave me the "thumbs up" sign when I asked how you were feeling that day. And that was just the begining. I have been sharing your recovery with my twoteenage daughters also, explaining that anything is possible with faith. You are amazing Denise! Phil you too! Yes, I think a book would be in order. I just love the photos of you Denise. You look beautiful! I was disappointed that the reception conflicted with a prior commitment. I kept checking the blog, and of course whala!!! Phil comes through again with a incredible last entry and pictures for all of us thousands to enjoy. Denise I have thought and prayed for you daily. Your strength is beyond words! Enjoy those darling children of yours, they grow up so fast! I will continue to keep an eye on the blog!!Thank you for sharing your life with so many, as you have touched and changed so many lives! With love, Shannon Seeker

July 03, 2006 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site http://www.brazilian-bikinis-3.info/Bravo-hydrogen-test-in-the-bikini-islands.html business visa card

February 03, 2007 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »

February 15, 2007 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home