Wednesday, May 10, 2006

121 pounds, Dinner date, Open house...

I've been getting quite a few emails asking if Denise is OK as the days go on. I can't believe it's been almost two weeks since I last posted. I've been swamped between dealing with things related to my dad's death, helping mom clear out/clean up/sell the house, and some school events. By the way, mega-thanks to the people that showed up for a workday at my mom's house that was planned last-minute. A tremendous amount was accomplished! My uncle's in town now, helping my mom with the rest of the items on the to-do list.

I hope to post some fairly significant developments with Denise (I'm a couple weeks overdue). Mostly positive stuff, fortunately, but a little lengthy and technical for posting tonight. I'm wiped out. She does weigh 121 pounds, and we think that the ab swelling is going down as the weight is going on. She's walking around the house, uses the wheelchair for longer distances. We finally went on our first date since she came home from the hospital. We went to a couple places so she could pick out a suit for me (the third suit I've ever owned... I try to limit myself to one per decade) and then we had a wonderful dinner at McGrath's Fish House, where she ordered lobster for the first time ever!

Among the aforementioned school events is my school's open house tomorrow night. Denise will visit Gracie's preschool classroom and then make it over to the K-8 side of the school to hang out with me in my classroom and schmooze a while. If you're in the area (and particularly if you can't make it to her reception on June 17), maybe you could swing by my school and visit her in my classroom (the computer lab). And if you do, please pardon the lack of flashy decor in my room... I've been a little too busy with other things to decorate. Click here for a map to my school.

Some friends & family have requested the following links, so here they are:

Save some pull for my mom over the next couple days. It hit me the other day that not only has she lost her spouse, had to downsize, sell her home (goes on the market on Monday), move into a retirement home, and do tons of paperwork... But gardening & culinary things are her hobbies, and she will be going to a place without a garden to tend & a kitchen to cook in. On top of that, Mother's day is sandwiched between the memorial service on Saturday and the interment ceremony at Riverside National Cemetery on Monday. I guess there's never a good time for any of this stuff, but the sting has got to be particularly nasty right before & after Mother's Day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are praying for your family and will pray particularly for your mom. So glad Denise is doing well. What a journey!

May 12, 2006 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers are with all of you at this sad time. So much to do, so much done. I wish I could be there and help out, but distance makes it impossible. My love to all of you. ajc.

May 13, 2006 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,
It was wonderful meeting your mom and such a blessing to get to walk through her garden with her and hear her talk about it. I certainly don't have a garden, mostly lots of ground covering. But I meant it when I said I'd invite her over to teach me how to tend (or start) my garden, if she'd like that! I'll ask you to help us make contact again after things settle a little.
You and Denise looked great last night!!! Sounds like you're making up for lost time. Praise God!
Antoinette

May 13, 2006 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

121 pounds!! That's awesome. In spite of everything else that is going on in your lives, I am rejoicing over the weight gain. GOD IS GOOD!!! Denise, at that rate, you will be good as new in no time!!!

May 14, 2006 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, there is just so much you've dealt with, and lots of recovering to do... yet also joy in the daily living. May sound funny but it seems like a good thing (at least in one sense) each time when I check in and there isn't a new report. Please continue to share sometimes, though!

May 17, 2006 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home