Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Dad sedated, Last hours?

My dad had to be sedated (Ativan, just like Denise) around 1am or 2am this morning. He slept most of the day yesterday but he became disoriented & anxious yesterday evening. It reminded me of Denise before she had her seizure. He was not connected with reality, fixated on distances, measurements, angles, tolerances, positions and directions. At one point when the nurse and I were moving him, it sounded like he was saying a few things in Hebrew (he was teaching himself a few years ago; he wasn't speaking in tongues). He started to pull things out overnight. He is currently breathing about once every 20 seconds and not suffering or in any pain. My brother, sister-in-law, a boyhood friend, and a quartet friend rotated shifts with him overnight so he wouldn't be alone. I haven't talked to the doctor or nurse, but my feeling is that these are the last hours. My mom's been called and I'm leaving for the hospital right now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound a bit morbib, but being with someone in their last moments is truly amazing...when grandma nelson died and we were with her each day and to watch her take her last breaths was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life and it was truly emotional...I look back on it now as a blessing, to be with her right there when she took her last breath on this earth and now to have seen someone take their first on this earth, God truly does bless us and I am soo happy you are able to be with him and that he did get to see denise get better. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers and continue to keep your head up.

April 18, 2006 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home