Thursday, September 22, 2005

Xigris stops, 6 liters drawn, Some better, Some worse

Denise finished her 96-hour Xigris drip today, then got a paracentesis which drew 6 liters off of her abdomen... you heard that right... 3 soda bottles worth of fluid. Denise was really tired today but indicated that she felt better after losing that fluid. That draw couldn't be done a couple days earlier while on the Xigris because of fear of complications from bleeding. By the way, the gal doing the procedure was someone that I remember from way back in elementary school.
Denise was doing pretty well on the gastro tube feeding at 40cc/hr until late this morning, when she threw up. Hopefully the lack of 6 liters in the belly will correct the bowel obstructions (that's been an "on-again, off-again" situation) and lessen the vomiting. By the way, for those that like to know, the g-tube is the better one with an umbrella to hold it in place instead of a balloon (I don't have a clue what this is supposed to look like, but that's what I'm told). Speaking of balloon, that fancy expensive fecal containment system was removed today. There was a note stating that it shouldn't be thrown away. Eeew.
Not all blood work was done today since several things are stable, and this saves some jabs for Denise.
Kidneys: The creatinine test is up a little to 2.2. We want it to go down to 1. But I guess this is to be expected with her renal function still so low. Urine output is still *very* low.
Liver: Didn't hear anything today, so I assume that liver function is still very low.
Lungs: Holding their own, respirations in the 20s, concentration still at 40%, still pulling good saturation in her system.
The blood pressure medicine was stopped today, and her blood pressure was about 98-110. Her heart rate was up as high as 130 at times to compensate for it. The challenge for the team now is to try to figure out what to do about this. If they give drugs to lower the heart rate, the blood pressure will also lower, and the liver & kidneys won't be as well supplied with blood. Denise needs the blood perfusion to those organs.

I've been feeling more ground down than usual since yesterday, the stress & chaos isn't bouncing off of me as well, and I think I might be fighting something. Either tha,t or this is what it feels like to turn 35. Anyway, getting sick and staying away from Denise for days isn't an option right now. So I'm trying to take it a little easier at night and get more rest. I didn't go to the hospital after the shift change last night and probably won't go tonight. That eats me up, as I havent' seen Denise much yesterday or today. I'm also feeling the stress of trying to cram a bunch of necessary computer lab projects that I'd intended to do over summer into the crunch time at the beginning of the school year. Fortunately, my ubergeek buddy from Tennessee has been putting in lots of hours to help me at work.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news about Denise....still plugging for her!
I'm sure you're running on empty, Phil. Our prayers are there for your health too.
Thank goodness for your buddy to help out. The Lord provides!
France & Family

September 22, 2005 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are running out of gas. I know that I am the last one to tell anyone what they should do, but I found out the hard way that it is very important to take time for yourself. I doubt that anyone would fault you for taking time off. You have certainly done duty above and beyond. Hope this corner is the last one you and Denise have to turn and it will lead you down the road to complete recovery. Our prayers are with you.

September 22, 2005 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,
The emails are all titled pulling for Denise, put please know that many are also pulling and praying for you and your kids. I'm praying that God will carry you through this and that you will feel amazingly supported. When I went through my cancer treatments it was such a HUGE blessing to know that others were praying for me, I'm sure that you understand what I mean, so just wanted to let you know again that I'm praying. Diane in Washington

September 24, 2005 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know God will provide the time you need to rest and recover from whatever you may be fighting. TGIF.

September 24, 2005 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad things are coming along better again. Two steps forward, one back. Hate those back steps, but there they are. After a big scare like that and being through so much in the first place it's no wonder you are feeling it. Our prayers are for all of you.

While the healing after all the 'scariest' stuff is done will take time, it can still be quite good. For example if they aren't able to take her off dialysis right away, well maybe they will be able to reduce it later and get there in time. Heart strength, too. You will probably always have a reminder of this season of your life, but maybe not always big limits beyond what we all face. So don't let the future weigh on you too much.

September 24, 2005 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home