Sunday, September 18, 2005

Grave condition

Pray.
The doctor just called:
He said Denise is in very grave condition. Going back into septic shock, kidneys failing (no urine output), liver function off, high acid in blood, PA catheter going in to heart, another ab fluid draw needed. If she goes to surgery, there's a high mortality risk.

Here's what I typed before the doctor called:
The call that came as I was just finishing last night's post was for bad news. Denise's blood pressure was very low & not coming up. Procedures were performed to get her blood pressure up & stable... a groin catheter was put in and meds given, I'm sure there were other things, but I can't remember the details. The charge nurse that came out to the door to greet me & Denise's mom & dad said that Denise had given everyone quite a scare. The doctor told me that when he first saw her, she was ashen gray and he thought he should do chest compressions, but she was still conscious. He also said that usually they take great care to keep everything sterile. But he didn't have time, so he cleaned her up as best he could and put in the catheter to start the meds. One more life-threatening, time-crucial crisis in which we could easily have lost Denise. Her nurse said he's getting a really high dose of meds and only pulling a pressure of 103, "Cross your fingers," she said. They also took Denise for a CT scan because her tummy is really swelling (checking for blockage again), but as of this morning the CT scan was inconclusive. Denise again expressed that she's scared. So am I.
By 3am Denise was more peaceful & stable, and we left.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can count on the Santa Barbara team for those prayers. Please dear Lord put your hands on Denise and heal her and help her family through this difficult time.

September 18, 2005 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I have been praying for you and family for over a month now. Last night around 11:30 pm I felt so compelled to pray ferverently for Denise. Please know that so many are lifting your family up in prayer right now during this very difficult time.

September 18, 2005 9:52 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Will definitely up the prayers and positive thoughts through this difficlt time. Denise is strong and is lucky to have you with her.

September 18, 2005 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God - Please don't take her!! We're asking for more miracles and we praise you for the ones you've already done. Lord, heal her please.

September 18, 2005 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus:

Please hold Denise close, Lord. Please keep her safe. Be with Phil. Be with the doctors and medical staff. Please, Lord. Bring her through.

September 18, 2005 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father please heal her and be close to her and Phil. Fill them with your peace and presence. You're a God of miracles Lord, please heal her Lord.

September 18, 2005 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,
we are praying for all of you knowing that God is in control and we can trust him.
terry m.

September 18, 2005 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but that doesn't matter to God. I continue to pray for you and your family, thanks so very much for taking the time to keep us updated. I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling, but this post certainly does sound scarry. May you find comfort in the prayers of others. Diane in Washington

September 18, 2005 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, Kathy and I are praying every day for Denise as you know, but I want to take this moment to tell you how much I have come to admire you and your devotion to her. You are everything that defines a loving husband and father. You put most of us to shame! It is so touching to read what you have shared with all of us and having known you growing up, I never imagined back then when I was sharing my music collection with you, giving you a few guitar lessons, and taking you to your first rock concert to see Eric Clapton that I would now be so emotionally involved with this crisis in your life . I am so honored that our families were brought together and became as one, and I am so proud of what a fine young man, husband, father, and incredible Christian you have become. I have experienced the feelings of despair and agony during the loss of my Dad, Uncle and Mom and can only imagine what you are feeling on a daily basis, but you truly are an inspiration to me and everyone who has become part of the crusade for Denise. Please know that my heart and Kathy's are right there with you as we all pray to our Heavenly Father to bring Denise through this crisis and back to full health. And to Denise, I say that it was an honor and priveledge to attend and photograph your wedding. I remember telling you what a beautiful bride you were and I will always remember your beautiful smile. You made my job easy! It was your's and Phil's day yet you both made me feel that I was someone special for being there. I was reminded of what a wonderful wife and mother of your children you have become when we celebrated Kathy's birthday last February! You are in our thoughts and prayers EVERY DAY along with countless other people who are praying for you right now. Please continue your fight to get better as we all want to celebrate with you and Phil once this hurdle is over! Love, Don & Kathy

September 19, 2005 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home