Wednesday, December 21, 2005

First car ride, School Luncheon, Landscaping

Denise got a pass to leave for a few hours today. So I drove her to my school for the Christmas luncheon. It was her first ride in a car in five months (I don't count the ambulance rides). When we got to the school, she got a standing ovation from the people I work with. The superintendent said that every year has a best and worst day. For him, the worst was a day on which we thought we'd lose Denise. The best was today, seeing her roll into the auditorium. Yup.

A bunch of my students are in a Brownie troop. They, along with some of their family members and one of my friends, were doing a service project at my house when I got home today. They pulled weeds, dug out unwanted plants, installed landscape lights, planted flowers, and even cleaned up! They wanted to plant flowers so that they spelled out "Welcome Home" but we didn't have enough flowers or time. So they wrote it in the soil instead (you can see "Home" in the picture). Unfortunately, most of the people that helped had to leave before I thought to take this picture. Thank you to everyone that helped give curb appeal to our house. Denise is going to love it when she comes home for a few hours tomorrow! The neighbors that live on the other side of the street probably are just as happy... they don't have to look at all the overgrown grass & weeds in the flowerbed anymore.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHOUT FOR JOY - WHAT A BLESSED CHRISTMAS THIS WILL BE! I about cried when I saw the terrific picture of Denise walking, then did when I read of her going to PCS. Praise God from whom all blessings flow..............Carol B.

December 22, 2005 8:02 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Praise God ... What a blessing it has been to see the great progress Denise has made in just the last couple of weeks. Sometime when you can bear it, reread your entries from mid and late September; the recovery from then to now is nothing short of awe-inspiring. Blessings to you all on this most remarkable Christmas!

December 22, 2005 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil. I live in Coalinga and my family and I just got back from spending 4 days in Disneyland. I was thinking of Denise and your family while I was there and kept praying for you. Now that we're back, the first thing I had to do was check your blog and find out your latest good news! Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Christmas blessings to you all! Oh, and I'd be happy to share a few of my extra pounds with Denise, lol!

December 22, 2005 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home