Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Bone scan done, more ventless moments

Tonight as I was driving to the hospital and listening to the radio, they played "Spirit of Radio" by Rush. I turned it up, rounded a curve on the 10 freeway, and the lights of downtown L.A. came into view. It's a beautiful sight (from a safe distance) on clear breezy nights like tonight. I got green lights all the way from the exit ramp to the hospital. Not having to stop in that neighborhood is a treat. Somehow the music made that rather icky drive nicer. As the song was ending, I was pulling into the parking structure, into the very first parking space. I was stoked.

And the good news continued during my visit...

She was off the ventilator twice earlier in the day (1/2 hour each time) and they took her off again just after I left tonight. Up until that time, she was on SIMV, 30% oxygen, PEEP 5, rate mid-20s. A speech therapist is due to visit Denise tomorrow. Read that again. Speech therapist! An evaluation will be done. I know that when the tracheostomy cuff has been deflated in the past, she speaks fine. She's even been able to muster up enough breath to force a syllable or two through, or pull the collar to one side and cheat a word through.

Heart rate was between 103-117, blood pressure 119-127, still off all heart & blood pressure meds. J-tube feeding has been held at 60cc/hr, going well.

Denise's bone scan was done today. The nurse said that there was some arthritis noted, but I'd have to talk to the doctor to find out specifically where. He told Denise's folks that they'll keep an eye on this in the future.

The spinal tap... uh... er... "lumbar puncture" (neither sounds nice) is on deck for tomorrow AM, blood thinner should be discontinued this evening. Let's hope that comes back all clear. One of my friends told me that as long as Denise is going to have a spinal tap, he hopes that she goes to 11. Any of you that understood that comment can come to my house when this mess is all over for a movie night.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD for another good day! Thank you Lord!

October 04, 2005 11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the above. All praise and honor goes to our God! He is active and alive! Yeah God!!! Thank you Father!!!

-KB

October 05, 2005 5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am overwhelmed with joy and once again humbled by our Lord! WOW! I love you guys, Kathy L.

October 05, 2005 6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praising the Lord and rejoicing with you for all the good news about Denise. In times like these all the small encouragements like green lights and a good song on the radio can bring comfort. They are just another evidence of God's tender care for us.

October 05, 2005 6:58 AM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Thank God. Dear Lord, please continue Denise's healing. Restore her to good health...Amen

October 05, 2005 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just keep getting chills with your good news Phil. The Lord is SOOOOO GOOD!

Rachel

October 05, 2005 10:27 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Rush and Spinal Tap? Under different circumstances, we would be great friends! Under these circumstances, I pull for your family as if you were my friends anyway. It is wonderful to hear of Denise's improvements this week. Praise God!

October 05, 2005 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God!! We too are amazed, overjoyed, and blessed by all the wonderul news.
Terry m.

October 05, 2005 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lord! Father, You are so good to us. We praise you and thank you for giving Denise a great week. Please be with Phil and the kids, please cover all the bills, and continue to give the whole family Your peace which passes all understanding!

October 05, 2005 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,

You dont know me personally but you do know my parents Gene and Ginger Luber from COD. I periodically check your wifes status and am praying. Thank God for progress. I am an emergancy room nurse so I understand the amazing amount of information youve had to aclimate to. Will continue to pray. Ps: I believe what your friend was trying to say about the LP was a measurement of the pressure of the spinal fluid that can be done during the tap when they take fluid. Dont do pressures much in the ER but thats my guess. Prayerfully, Mike

October 05, 2005 8:10 PM  
Blogger The Floydster said...

Phil - I'm another friend you haven't met yet, and I continue to rejoice with you at Denise's improvement. I heard about you from my friend Ginger Luber and have been keeping track of your challenge. Know that I'll continue to keep praying.

Anne Floyd
Teacher ~ Village Christian Schools

October 05, 2005 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!! I am so glad that Denise is progressing. The Lord is good! I will keep on praying for her and for the kids and especially you. You are a strong man, keep on fighting the fight and just remember God is always with you!
God Bless

October 05, 2005 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home