Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Mixed bag, Writing, Jake's vist, David Hasselhoff

Mixed bag between yesterday afternoon and tonight.
I had to start back at work today for teacher orientation. While I was there, the nurse called and said that Denise wanted to see Gracie & Jacob, the staff arranged a visit, and Denise got to see both kids. The kids had a big morning at the park with Denise's dad, and Jacob was a little tired & clingy to grandpa. Gracie was wide awake and gave Denise about a million kisses. Unfortunately, I didn't make it for the visit, but I hope to be there for the next one. And again, many thanks to everyone that dabbled with the rules and allowed the kids to visit.
Yesterday Denise went from PRVC vent mode to CPAP, in which she gets to call the shots as far as how often to take a breath, and how deeply. That lasted 5 hours. Not bad. They tried it again today, but she was only able to go for about an hour. Yesterday her oxygen concentration was only 30%; today I saw it as high as 60%. Late yesterday afternoon, she was able to write fairly legibly for the first time in over a month. When she got too tired to write (couldn't complete the sentence), she rediscovered how to use the TV remote (well on her way to becoming either an author or a vidiot).
Unfortunately, yesterday's indium scan didn't reveal anything helpful to us in the fight. That was disappointing, as I thought that it might shed some light on what's going on to cause the ab swelling & fevers. Today they gave her a bunch of contrast and did a CT scan to see if they could find anything. Her heart rate was also in the 150 range much of the day today, so they gave her some more sedative and morphine in addition to cranking up the oxygen to try make her relax.
While I was getting caught up on Denise's condition at the nurse's desk, there was a "code blue." When I saw everyone run toward Denise's room, my heart sank, thinking it was for her, but it was for the patient in the next room over, in a corner room. Fortunately, they were able to revive that patient.
And today's bit of frivolity: I parked by David Hasselhoff. He was getting to his car as I was getting out of mine. I've actually seen him there several times over the last few weeks, but I don't think I've mentioned it before in the blog. The first few times I saw him, I thought he looked familiar (school parent, someone from church, old high school teacher...), then a nurse reminded me that he was on Knight Rider and I made the connection. Anyway, I guess his folks are fairly local and his mom's been in ICU. Even though he drives a nicer car than me (well, who doesn't?), the waiting room for ICU/CCU is a great equalizer... no distinctions due to fame, race, money, college degree, or much of anything else. Everybody's in the same boat: worried about, weeping over & praying for a loved one. I guess I only mention this now because I'm re-reading "Where Is God When It Hurts?" and that point about waiting rooms and death both being equalizers came up in what I read today. Anyway, he seems like a nice enough guy, but no, I won't pester him for an autograph for you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Denise, Phil and family.....I am glad to hear that Denise was able to see Gracie and Jacob....I love you Denise and i want you to get well soon. To the nurse's and doctor's taking such good care of my cousin. Thank you so much. God Bless!

September 01, 2005 11:59 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Phil:

You don't know me (I'm a church friend of one of the families at your school), but I've been following your ordeal for several weeks. Thank you for your honest (and often funny) assessment of this trial. We could pray without it, but knowing of the details and especially the little triumphs makes it more personal, and spurs me to be constant in my prayer.

As it happens, my wife just got home from spending a week in the hospital. Thankfully, it was only for testing, but as I juggled watching the kids with commuting to the hospital to care for her, I often thought of you, what you have been through and what you have yet to experience. Your steadfastness and good humor are remarkable and an inspiration. I will continue to pray for strength for you and your family, as well as for a full and speedy recovery for Denise.

Dave Evans

September 01, 2005 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, he's a nice guy, but what I want to know is . . . does he talk to his car?
prayers,
Terry M.

September 01, 2005 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Williams!!
I just wanted to let you know that if you need any babysitting (free of charge) just give me a call! I'm an assistant coach for my mom's jv volleyball team so I'll be at PCS all the time. If you want me to watch the kids while you work in the comp. room just let me know and I will be more than happy to keep an eye on them! You're an INSPIRATION to us all!
-- Caitie Evans
P.S. I guess David Hasselhoff is a nice guy, just don't listen to his singing or else you'll learn to hate him!

September 01, 2005 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home