Thursday, October 27, 2005

Move on hold, Bedsore vac on deck, Massage,

Denise hasn't been moved to another room yet. She threw up what the nurse said appeared to be undigested medicine. She won't get to move out of ICU until she stops doing the technicolor yawn. So she drank barium and went for the x-rays. She wanted me to be sure to point out that she not only drank the barium, but DIDN'T throw it up. And if she wanted to throw up anything, that was the top candidate. She said she was miserable for the ride to & from the room for that process. She had to be on her back on a very thin pad, making her bedsore ache more than usual. Anyway, the early unofficial word is that there's no ileus. Later one of the x-ray guys came to her bedside with the machine, I assume to see how the barium was progressing. Instead of rolling her on her side, placing the board, and rolling her back, he slid the board under her, and that caused some grief when it hit her bedsore. They're going to try a fairly new idea in getting that bedsore healed up. They have a vacuum that attaches to a custom-fit sponge that goes into the wound. Then it sucks the wound closed. Just kidding. But my limited understanding isn't much better... I guess that it increases the circulation to the area, keeps gunk from building up, and helps things heal quicker. We're all for that.
The prayer moms came again today. One of the moms couldn't make it, but they brought a massage therapist as a ringer, so that was cool. Denise loved, and I mean LOVED getting massaged by someone that actually knew what she was doing. She also brought some essential oils for some aromatherapy, so it didn't smell like a hospital for a while. Not only did they bring church to Denise's bedside, they brought a spa as well. Beats the heck out of coffee & donuts after service, if you ask me.
I don't really have much more about Denise today. There were tests, procedures, delays, frequent stepping out... I really didn't get that much time with her during the hours I was at the hospital. I did pick up a cool little voice recorder for the iPod, though, and recorded some of our conversations so I could figure it out. Denise recorded a greeting for you all to hear, and I'll post a link to it as soon as Webmaster Mike & I get the chance. I love that I can speak with her again, as do the kids. I call so they can say "Goodnight" to her every night.
Tonight before dinner, Gracie prayed, "Dear God, I don't want mommy at the "hostable" anymore. Please bring her home. Amen" Out of the mouths of babes, huh? All the words I speak & think during prayer boil down to just that.
Side notes: Denise's dad had to drive back home today for a root canal. He's been making do for quite a few weeks with a busted up tooth. And I just found out a day or two ago that Denise's uncle had a heart attack that kept him from going on a trip to Florida (heart attack or hurricane... take your pick). He's doing much better now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil.
Too be honest with you I'd probably pick the hurricane, followed closely by the heart attack. But that's just one man's opinion.

October 28, 2005 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil...Dad didn't have a heart attack. He was having chest pains and went straight to the hospital. They found blockage, inserted a stint and balloon, and now he's doing well. He says he feels better than he has for the last 2 years. They weren't going to leave for Florida until mid-November, but the doctor says they can't go until after Thanksgiving. I had indicated to the doctor that they needed to be here for the holidays so I think he made that stipulation on my behalf. One holiday is better than none I guess. Love you guys, Cindy

October 28, 2005 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, It makes me hurt to think of Denise being moved in bed without being turned properly. I'm a nurse in Washington and what is sometimes helpful in our hospital is to post signs at the head of the bed..perhaps it could say, bed sore, please turn very carefully. Now that she is in a regular room there will be a lot of new people taking care of her, sometimes signs help to communicate to the staff. So glad to hear that she is well enough to be moved out of ICU. Diane in Washington

October 29, 2005 12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home